Predicting the future is an unreliable science. Many are right, like George Orwell with his 1984 novel, but others like Stanley Kubrick, who thought that by 2001 man would be conquering other worlds, fail or at least make mistakes for several decades. Even so, every year experts make their predictions on science and technology based on their knowledge and global trends. Supported by what futurists have said such as Bernard Marr, Annis Uzzanab and David Court we chose ten ads in which these experts agree and have to do with topics such as advances in 5G and improvements in health technology for prevention and treatment of diseases. I hope they are fulfilled.
1. Autonomous cars. The most surprising news will come from Tesla, as its founder, Elon Musk, announced that by the end of this year he will have the first autonomous car. In addition, Wayne, a Google company, advances tests of a taxi in California. Cars with autonomous technologies – parking, braking or changing lanes -will be more frequent and it is expected that other types of transport such as courier will also be automated. For this reason, it is expected that there will be debates about regulation on this issue.
2. Personalized and predictive medicine. Thanks to genomics and the development of data processing, medicine will be increasingly personalized, that is, it will offer each patient the therapy they need. This has been seen especially in the treatment of cancer. This information will also lead to being more predictive of how the organism will react to the disease, which will make it easier to choose better treatments.
3. 5G. There is much talk about his arrival but in 2020 few predict that it will finally take off. In 2019 countries like New Zealand adopted this fast communication network but at astronomical prices and with service only in certain areas of certain cities. More affordable plans are expected this year for many more to adopt. This will allow downloading movies and heavy content in a matter of seconds. As the data will travel faster, it will involve many advantages in business. Likewise, it will revolutionize the internet of things and the automation of cars.
4. Blockchain For neophytes, this technology allows secure transactions to be recorded thanks to its encryption and decentralization nature. FedEx, Walmart, and IBM, to name just a few, have invested millions of dollars in this trend, so many believe that its fruits will be seen this year. If so, it will allow more control of information leaks and avoid online fraud.
Science, a link in the development
5. The evolution of the aerospace industry. In recent years there have been advances in this field. Just remember the impressive test of the Falcon Heavy from Space X a couple of years ago. This year, SpaceX is expected to start building the Starship, a completely reusable rocket. But more progress will be seen since Space X is just one of the firms competing for private space exploration.
6. Artificial intelligence ventures into manufacturing. So far the closest example of artificial intelligence (AI) was products like Siri and Alexa. But this year, AI is expected to enter the field of emotions and other areas such as manufacturing. The GAP clothing company and other companies like Kindred will use it to distribute their products.
7. Internet of things: Although there is much talk about this issue, there are actually fewer products with this technology than expected and this is partly due to the fact that 5G has not started. But this year they will begin to see advances in the subject. Amazon has already launched AmazonGo, a revolutionary purchasing system that uses the Internet of things and mechanical vision so that its customers can buy its products from supermarkets without making lines or payments. It is expected that many in 2020 adopt such technologies.
8. The era of quantum computing. Companies such as IBM, Google, Intel, and Microsoft, among others, are strongly betting on quantum computing. This is why some believe that this science will finally start in 2020. This issue is crucial since quantum computing promises to solve the most pressing problems in many areas such as health and energy.
9. Evolution of efficient agriculture. In 2020 it will be more common to control crops with technologies such as computational vision and robots that collect plants and fruits will be seen more in the field. Other technologies specialized inefficient crop growth will also become more popular in the field.
10. Computational vision. It involves tools and technology capable of identifying objects, places, and people from images. This allows, from a smartphone, to recognize the world. This is the base technology for autonomous cars to navigate the streets, but also to detect defective products or equipment failures in the production lines. Security cameras, with this type of technology, can alert unusual movements.